Thursday, May 23, 2013

So that's what you mean?

So I am all about finding the deeper meaning in life, and I really think that there is always something past what some is saying, there is a meaning behind their words. So today, though it was supposed to be yesterday, I am reviewing some well known rap lyrics to see what their real meaning is. I'm sorry ahead of time. Your mind will probably be blown. You're welcome.


1. Ego by Beyonce: "Ego so big you must admit I got every reason to feel like I'm that bitch Ego so strong, you ain't know? I don't need no beat, I can sing it with piano..."

I really tried to grab at what Beyonce was trying to say here, this is what I think she is saying: She's has strong feelings towards confidence and women's empowerment while still maintaining her femininity. 

2. Beez In the Trap by Nicki Minaj: "Okay now Nicki Nicki Nicki, put it in your kidney Got a new LS 450, ain't no keys in this do-hicky If I weren't rappin' I be trappin' If I weren't trappin' I be pimpin' If weren't pimpin' I be gettin' it, period"

Oh Nicki, she is so deep, even spiritual at times I feel. What I'm reading into this: She's kind of like the Pope...and she knows it. And really she just wants us to know it too. 

3. Bugatti by Ace Hood: "I woke up in a new Bugatti I woke up in a new Bugatti I woke up in a new Bugatti I woke up in a new Bugatti I woke up in a new Bugatti"

Ace Hood is direct, I'll give him that.... His message? He just wants to have a few friends, he just wants to get from point A to point B. Also, when he was a small child he got  in a fist fight with a cat....and the cat one. And now he is trying to get past his rational fear of felines and find his inner peace that was lost so long ago. Bugatti was the cats name. 

4. Rubber Band Man by T.I.: "Grand Hustle man Mo hustles than hustle man. But why the rubber band? It representing the struggle man. My folk gonna trap until they come up wit another plan Stack and crumble bread to get theyself off they mama land."

T.I. has legit street cred. He's letting you know it too: He's had a rough life the past few years, probably due to the fact that he is living in a gated hood of Beverly Hills and it was hard, but he got past his issues with having a butler and nanny and chef and gardener and mixologist and was able to make this song. And he likes rubber-bands. Durh. 

5. Made In America by Kanye West: "I pledge allegiance, uh, to my Grandma For that banana pudding, our piece of Americana Our apple pie was supplied through Arm & Hammer Straight out the kitchen, shh don't wake Nana! Built a republic, that still stands I'm trying to lead a nation, to leave to my little man's Or my daughter, so I'm boiling this water The scales was lopsided, I'm just restoring order Hold up, here comes grandma, what's up YaYa?"

We all know that Kanye is a household favorite, his lyrics tell a story something usually completely appropriate for children and prudes alike to enjoy. Usually while sitting around a campfire drinking hot chocolate... his words are a real conversation starter. Just like his face. And his calm demeanor. And his logical way of handling his feelings. This song is just another example, he likes singing about his YaYa....and her awesome baking skills. Touche K.W Touche. 

6. Gotta Have It by Jay Z: "Hello, hello, hello, White America, assassinate my character Money matrimony, yeah, they tryna break the marriage up Who gon’ act phonier? Who gon’ try to embarrass ya? I’ma need a day off, I think I’ll call Ferris up"

Jay Z is letting us know a few things here: He's color blind. He has a love child. He likes watching cheesy 90's movies and he likes to keep things chill. His idea of a good day is a day without cold weather and without having to listen to his wifie sing Ego. 

7. Clap Clap by Lil Kim: "Clap, clap, I think they need a round of applause, Clap, clap, I think they need a round of applause, Clap, clap, I think they need a round of applause, Clap, clap, I think they need a round of applause!"

I've always thought of Lil Kim as a type of unappreciated theologian of our generation. She wanted to bring attention to the drought and issues that we have had in the US of A the past few years with apple orchards and harvests.... Who knew she was so considerate? I did. 

8. Just Lose It by Eminem: "Now everyone report to the dance floor To the dance floor, to the dance floor Now everyone report to the dance floor Alright Stop!.....Pajama time"

Eminem is probably one of my first loves. When I lived on the farm down in James Town we used to get a weekly 'Entertainment' magazine of sorts and one day his face showed up on it, and I was never the same. Ever. That face..... anyway, WOAH I just got side tracked. Oops. But he did lose me on this a bit. I get that he's tired but let's be honest. Talking about about PJ's in a song is just a little excessive. Go to bed Eminem and right these lyrics again later. 

9. Mr. Carter by Lil Wayne: "To you forever, from me to you I heard somebody say "Judge!" I'm need a suit I'm gonna need a Coupe, I won't need a roof Flyer then Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice I got the flow, I'm tryna see the roof Didn't wear a bulletproof, so I got shot and you can see the proof Blind eyes could look at me and see the truth"

Lil Wayne... once again lyrical poet and sneak, he almost made me miss the meaning behind this with his poetic ingeniousness. He, my friends, has a MAJOR crush on Winona Ryder..... And he's just trying to put himself out there for her. Deep stuff.... deep. 

10. My Chick Bad by Ludacris: "I’m saying my chick bad My chick hood My chick do stuff that your chick wish she could My chick bad, badder than yours My chick do stuff that I can’t even put in words Her swagger don’t stop Her body won’t quit So fool pipe down you ain’t talkin bout shit My chick bad, tell me if you seen her She always bring the racket like Venus and Serena"

And finally the best is for the last. My dear Ludacris, he just wants a nice girl to settle down with. He's sick of the game. He's too twisted up in it all. He wants someone that knows how to make a nice bunt cake and can hang with his grannie from time to time. This song is a cry for help. Love help. And he likes tennis. 



~

Well, there you go my friends. I hope you enjoyed my interpretation of these lyrics...... because I am completely right. Anyway. Sleep deprived Thursday!!!! Yay! 


(Attempted a beauty blog but I was under the weather this week....so next week. I promise. )

0 comments

Post a Comment