Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Day 3 of Summer Break....

It was a dark and stormy night.... actually it was an overcast 90 degree day... and it was the third day of summer break. As I sat pool side, I thought to myself, 'self, it has been a really good three days.... I'm so glad.... it is all going so carefree and fun.' Well, self just done jinxed herself. Idiot.

If you have ever met the Toddler, you know.... he really is his own leader. He is independent, strong willed, a one man show, pushy, demanding, and a big love muffin [did I mention strong willed?] One thing he also is, and it has caused many a grey hair, he is the most accident prone child I have ever met.... I wish the ER just had a tab... because I would have left ours open once he learned how to walk. He is my baby boy and I am so in love with his personality, just like I am with his sisters-BUT he is just like her, in that he is really a character. He just is one of a kind.

Today we went to the pool with his bestie, they decided it was time to take a snack break [the pool makes the kids take a break every hour] and they sat across from each other sharing a massive box of M&M's the Toddler calls them chocolate Skittles and I support that and they each dove into their own snow cones as well. They were finally finishing up with their little picnic when the Toddler shockingly leaned back and fell straight back onto the pavement. I jumped up as it was happening and scooped him up as fast as I could, but I knew it was going to be bad. And honestly, I was terrified for him. 

I tried to stay calm, but I was probably a psychopath.... I own it, head wounds scare the shit out of me. I called his doctors office while holding the 44 pound Toddler sob/screaming in my ear understandably and the idiot on the other line wouldn't let me speak to a nurse, instead she was going to save me... her front desk skills were equipped to judge if my son was OK.... I am not belittling her job, I am saying her advice was a liability for their office, her said advice was crap and ended up being wrong as well. bisch stay in your lane, my son is freaking hurt. 

We made it to the urgent care, I wasn't sure what was going to happen but they were beyond sweet and patient with him. 

The doctor finally made it into the room, and mid-conversation the Toddler, as politely as he could asks, 'Can it be my time to talk yet?' Thank god she had a threenager of her own, and she was so sweet to him.... it was his turn to talk after all.

He had real tears in his eyes, the saddest baby boy face quiver EVER, "Well, my mommy she, she wasn't there... she wasn't there behind me... she should have been behind me but she didn't. And so I fell back because I didn't have my mommy, and if she had been there [big sob sniff here] she would have stopped me from falling, but she wasn't and that was wrong [insert devastating sobbing]"

Well, I'm an asshole. Great. In my defense, I've never had to sit behind him on a bench, but I will be from now on, dang it. 

He has a mild concussion. He has a failure as a mother. He has a nasty looking head wound under his politician hairdo. He has a sister that insisted she could take better care of him the rest of the day. And he will be OK. Which is the most important thing to me. 

It is the third day of summer break. Just the third. I can do this. I can make it through the summer break..... I just need to keep everyone alive. How hard can that be? Cue the Toddler being awake at any point this may be harder than I thought. 

The Toddler, the invincible 

0 comments

Post a Comment